[TR] suspension travel in a 4A

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] suspension travel in a 4A
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:44:56 -0400
Does anyone know the up and down suspension travel in a TR4A?

I am asking this as a follow-up to my questions regarding a front swaybar for
the car.  Richard Good (Goodparts) can make a custom bar for me for $20 more
than one of his standard TR6 units.

So, I have to take measurements of the semi-installed TR6 unit and tell him
what changes to make.

For one thing, it needs to be 0.75" wider.

It also needs to be shorter by about 0.75" as well.  This will allow the
vertical links to be almost vertical at rest.

But with suspension changes the effective length of the A-arm changes causing
the bottom of the vertical link to be off vertical to some degree.  Upward
changes are mild because the bottom a-arm is angled down by 1.75" at the stud
for the link, so 3" of total upward travel causes only 0.25" maximum distance
off vertical.

Downward travel is a bigger issue.  If there is 4" downward travel, then there
will be about a 2" inward swing of the link mounting stud.  This is
significant, but not critical because the link has lots of travel in that
direction.

The "wings" of the sway bar also effectively change length as the suspension
travels.  Again. the wing will have about a 1" downward starting point, so the
first 2" of travel upward has miniscule maximum change in length.  An
additional 2" of upward travel still adds only another 0.5" travel.  IN this
direction, the link has about 0.75" of freedom.

With downward suspension travel, the link runs out of freedom at about 3" of
travel.

So. what is the total amount of suspension travel, especially down?   I think
I could measure it by jacking the car, but I would rather have an "official"
number.

I am on the digest, so please feel free to CC me directly too!

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org