Re: [TR] Where to Buy a used Mercedes?

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net, steven@newellboys.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Where to Buy a used Mercedes?
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 06:56:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2006 3:36:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gprtech@frontiernet.net writes:

I worked  for Merecedes for a year (2 years ago) in their EDAC group,
whcich was  assembled specifically to get service problems under control.
It was a  joke. We compiled information on what was going wrong and
assisted the  field techs in correcting the problems, but Mercedes
engineering  completely ignored the data we compiled.

They had problems that  continue to this day with steering racks(!) and
their 7 speed auto box, as  well as the entire cabin electronics suite
from nav and stereo to phone  and clocks.

It was a depressing experience.

George  Richardson
1957 Triumph TR3 - TS15559L  http://www.key-men.com/triumph
1975 Triumph TR6 - Undergoing  restoration
1972 Triumph Stag - Daily Driver
Key Men: Keys  for Classics - http://www.key-men.com

Right before my 100,000 mile factory warranty expired, the service  assistant
offered to "go through" everything during the B service and make sure
anything required was done before the warranty expired.

At the next service (now out of warranty) he said the "factory recommended"
upper control arm bushings be replaced at 80,000 miles. I spent ca $1000 to
convert a solid suspension to a noisy sqeaky suspension which could only be
cured by also replacing the lower control arm bushings!
Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org