Re: TR3A Headlights

To: John Wise <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: TR3A Headlights
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:06:05 -0500
John Wise wrote:
>The only downside, if you want an original look, is the "flat" face
>of the H4s.  It does not bother me, but living in Arizona where the
>state flower is a rock, I installed rock guards over my headlights.
>Since the rock guards are convex , it effectively hides the H4s
>flatness.

You can easily overcome that aesthetic short-coming by switching to
Cibie lamps.

>I use PIAA 60/55W ultra white lights, because as we (the drivers not
>the car) get older our visual sensitivity in the yellow range drops
>(cornea/lens get a little yellow) so it really does help older eyes
>to see better at night.  (end of vision lecture)

I have also read that the dilation/contraction reflex of the eye is
relatively uneffected by blue/bluer light. That's one reason the
"blue" lights appear brighter; the pupil fails to contract. I know
the PIAA lamps are not the trendy blue lights, which are simply
tinted bulbs, or low voltage filaments being over-driven.

I've been a big fan of Cibie lamps since I started rallying 25+ years
ago. Most of the difference between good and bad lights is the lens.
Poor beam control cannot be overcome with higher output bulbs. Cibie
pioneered the quartz halogen lamp years ago and still make a quality
product.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (28 year owner)