RE: Rear Hub Puller - Churchhill Copy

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Hub Puller - Churchhill Copy
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:01:50 -0800
> I had brought mine to a machine shop to see if they could take
> apart a hub.
> He used an air wrench on it and could not get the hub to release.

Common misconception ... most air impact tools don't actually deliver all
that much torque, especially when applied to a long bolt like the forcing
bolt on a puller.  The impact gets absorbed by the 'twist' in the bolt.

> I thought at TRF they used a very large socket wrench or torque wrench.

Socket and a breaker bar, possibly with added 'cheater' over the handle of
the breaker bar.  Never use a torque wrench for this kind of work, as
overloading them will destroy their accuracy.  Don't use a ratchet either.

You'll also need a long, strong bar to hold the puller from turning.  ISTR
someone wrote that they used an Oldsmobile to hold the bar from turning so
they could devote both hands to the wrench.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org