Re: Surrey Tops

To: lmtr4a@ctlnet.com
Subject: Re: Surrey Tops
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:49:01 EST
In a message dated 11-Dec-05 16:09:08 Eastern Standard Time,
lmtr4a@ctlnet.com writes:
The two options on the TR4 & 4A that everyone seems to be looking for are
the overdrive transmission and the surrey top.  I have a few pieces of
original factory literature and none even mention the availability of the
hard / surrey tops.  When I ordered my first TR4A from the dealer in
Indianapolis, I remember asking about overdrive and the option was poo-pooed
as problematic and totally unnecessary.  Was that opinion of the
distributors or was that from a factory directive to keep hold the cost
down?  Knowing what I know now (isn't that always the case), I surely would
have ordered both options.

Wonder if Mike Cook (Triumph's PR director at that time) would have an
answer.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Lou, thanks. When I ordered my TR4 through the N. Eastern Triumph distributor
in NYC in March  of '64 they sent me an order form with all the standard
features and options.  The options included a heater, wire wheels, tonneau
cover,
leather seats, overdrive and the surrey top.  I declined on the latter two
because I figured 1) 4 speeds was enough (US cars usually had three speeds) and
2) I wanted a convertible.  My reasoning was that it would be too much trouble
to take off the surrey top in summer and then if I did I would not have a top
(hood) to be put up on the road.

41 years later, I regret the overdrive decision but since this was the first
car I ever owned, I now know, with age and wisdom, that it was a valid
decision at the time.  The surrey top decision brings mixed emotions.  I still
prefer
the convertible but the surrey top does look good.

BTW, all my references show those options as valid and viable at the time.
Maybe your distributor was just lazy?  Regards.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)

===     http://www.vtr.org