Re: Cam Plug problem..

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>, "Triumphs"
Subject: Re: Cam Plug problem..
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:25:18 -0500
I know this is absolute heresy and I deserve nothing but contempt
from the list for this answer, but then since I'm a masochist that's okay.

The thing to beware of is that your machinist may not have got the
cam bearings in just exactly right and the little nubbin on the end
of those screws won't hit the center of the hole and that will
distort the cam bearing and cause all kinds of mischief when you try
to install and run the camshaft. It's just not too much fun
straightening out a problem like this. You can look down in the holes
and maybe or maybe not tell if the holes are exactly centered.

The purpose of those little nubbins is to prevent the camshaft from turning.

Now promise not to tell anybody, but if you forget about the cam
bearings turning (which never happens) you can grind the little
nubbin off the end of the bolt and install it and not worry about the
washer thickness.

At 11:18 PM 8/30/2005, Dave Connitt wrote:
>List,
>Didn't get a chance to get over to my machinist tonight like I planned. The
>remnants of hurricane Katrina came through here today and there were
>accidents everywhere due to slick roads. Hopefully, I can get that resolved
>tomorrow evening..
>I do have one more task to solve that maybe someone can help me with. I need
>a source for new washers for the 3 small bolts that hold the cam bearings
>stationary.

uncle jack