RE:

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:32:34 -0400
In a message dated 8/16/2005 10:56:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Joe Curry"
<spitlist@cox.net> writes:

>Somehow during this exchange my point got lost.  So I will repeat it
>once more.  IF THE ENGINE HAS SAT FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD, you need to
>squirt a little oil in the cylinders before doing the compression test....

==========
Joe, Randall, et. al.: Somewhere along the thread, I think we all got
distracted and ended up in a classic apples v. oranges debate. I'm pretty sure
the original thread concerned a "currently running" engine.

Frankly, I can't see much point in immediately doing a compression test on the
hypothetical long-dormant engine. As you note, it's going to be "dry"; it's
also possible that a ring or more might even be stuck, etc., etc. I'd want to
properly prep it for starting, including the bit of oil (motor, penetrating or
otherwise) in each cylinder, get it running and  up to temperature and tuned as
best I can BEFORE considering a compression test.

And maybe once it's up and running, I might not even bother with such a test if
it sounds ok to me. ;-)

--Andy Mace