Re: The exhaust and the cruciform- TR3A

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The exhaust and the cruciform- TR3A
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:14:40 -0700
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>...since I wish to head-off any bad vibrations and squeaking, wouldn't
>it be a good idea to wrap the exhaust pipe with aluminum screening or other
>non-rusting, breathable type mesh or hardware cloth prior to inserting it
>through this cruciform tunnel?

I think the key thing is to avoid any contact between the frame (incl
cruciform) and the exhaust other than the standard hanger & bracket.
The clearances around the pipe as it goes thru the x-form are small and
indeed you may be doing some fiddly work with a jack and levers before
you tighten everything down to assure you don't get contact when going
over bumps etc.

My TR3A went together fine but for some reason the TR4 took a lot of
tweaking to find a secure and quiet spot.  I think adding any material
in there will just make it harder to avoid contact.

Geo Hahn