Re: Assembly lube

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <70tr6@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Assembly lube
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:22:33 -0700
R. Ashford Little II wrote:

> I've been following this thread with some interest, and now it appears it's
> time for me to open my mouth and ask a dumb question or two.
>
> 1.  Our local club recently rebuilt an engine.  The club used regular old
> engine oil as a lubricant during assembly.  I enquired about why we weren't
> using assembly lubricant and was told that unless the engine will be sitting
> up for a while that motor oil was just as good.
>
> 2.  I also was led to believe that some assembly lubricants might be worse
> than motor oil since due to their consistency they might block certain small
> oil passages upon initial start-up.
>
> There were a few other questions I had that received answers that were not
> in keeping with what I'd heard all along, so now I'm opening it up to you
> guys (and gals) whose opinion I place great trust in.

I doubt that you'd find a major camshaft manufacturer agree with
this advice. Much of the wear an engine encounters over its lifetime
occurs on startup, where there's insufficient oil pressure, and the
cam and lifters are particularly susceptible to wear until broken in
because they depend upon splash only to lubricate the lobe surfaces
and lifter faces. Any additional insurance to protect them on
initial start is helpful. The advantage of a good assembly lubricant
is that it doesn't drain off quickly, which oil can do.

It's not really a matter of cost, since the stuff is relatively
cheap, compared to the cost of the parts it's intended to protect.

As for the matter of it blocking passages, I doubt it. Virtually all
products marketed as assembly lubricant are soluble in oil and
aren't so thick that oil pressure on start-up can't push it out of
bearing clearances, etc.

In short, I think you've been offered bad advice. If good technology
comes along, why not take advantage of it? Most available contain
extreme high pressure lubricants, just what's required for initial
start-up.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.