RE: Distributor Wobble

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>, "'TR'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Distributor Wobble
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:47:49 -0700
> A while back there was a discussion about distributor wobble and I was not
> sure what that was. well today while statically setting my timing
> I noticed
> that my rotor will move forward and back a little ways without the engine
> turning. Is this normal?  It seems that this would cause the
> timing to vary
> (not the vacuum advance, just the rotor shaft).

The rotor should turn a bit under finger pressure, but should not move side
to side without turning.

If it does move side to side, then a new bushing in the distributor body is
called for.  Replacing the bushing is about a "3 wrench" operation, it can
be done at home but isn't trivial.  I'm not sure if bushings are still
available from the big 3, they weren't at one time.  However, the bushing is
a standard id and od; it should be possible to replace it with two stock
bushings from McMaster-Carr or wherever.  You might have to cut one of them
to length.

Another alternative would be to just buy a rebuilt distributor, or have
yours rebuilt.  Check with your local auto electric shop to see if they can
rebuild yours.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: