Re: Bolt extractors

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Bolt extractors
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:36:32 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From "John Gillis" <jgillis at gemini.tcd.ie>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 9:04 AM

>Out of literally hundreds of tries with reverse thread extractors with 0%
success, I finally tried a square extractor. Drill the largest hoel you can,
tap the square extractor in with a hammer, and then use a wrench to remove
the broken stud or bolt. They've worked 100% of the time for me.

Of course, use all the usual precautions, like soaking in penetrating oil
overnight before trying to remove it. I found it best whenever possible to
drill completely through the stud or screw and squirt a good penetrating oil
in the hole so it gets the oil from both ends.

Jack W.