Subject: Engine Break in Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Engine Break in Oil
From: "Kentech Motorsports" <kentech@midmaine.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:24:09 -0400
Terry,

I asked my local engine rebuilder/machine shop about break in oil. They
said every engine they build (big turbo diesels to Nascar racing
engines) they use Valvoline multi-vis 10w30 or 5w30 and add a 16oz.
bottle of GM E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant #1052367. "specifically
formulated as an engine assembly lubricant . provides outstanding
protection against run-in wear and piston scuffing as well as run-in
camshaft lobe and lifter scuffing resulting from insufficient
lubrication." But the label warns "GM DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF THIS
OR ANY PRODUCT AS AN ADDITIVE TO ENGINE OIL." Confused yet? This shop is
top notch and I trust them. Their assembly lube is a different
concoction of several oils not including this product so I plan to
follow their advice in my newly rebuilt engine and use the GM E.O.S.
with Valvoline for breakin. ymmv

Peter K
Manchester, Maine