RE: more valve spring confusion

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more valve spring confusion
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:41:11 -0700
> Now I'm really confused!
> When I pulled off the valve springs on the '60 model, I
> found 3 valve springs on each exhaust valve and two on the intake
> valves.  But
> when I did it on the '66 TR4 motor, I found 3 springs on the
> intake and 2 on
> the exhaust valves!

The 3 springs should only be on the exhaust.  Apparently some previous
mechanic has read the mis-print in the Haynes and followed it.  Just to be
sure, I double-checked the TR4 Bentley, it says 3 springs on the exhaust in
several places.

Note that the 3 springs take a special pedestal, which is just a loose ring
that fits around the valve guide against the head.  If memory serves, the
instructions with my 2-spring replacement set said to remove the pedestal.

Randall