RE: TR3 Engine question

To: <TERJE_KOLBEINSEN@bluezone.no>, "Car, Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Engine question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:01:38 -0700
> Q1: During installation of my rebuilt TR3 (low port) head, I read in the
> Service Instruction Manual that I should omit the washers under the head
> nuts.

Interesting ... where do you see that ?

> Why are they then listed in the partlist??

Parts were listed in the parts list if the factory thought they would be
used on the car at the time the parts list was printed.  In some cases, they
weren't actually used, but the SPC was never updated to reflect that.

>  If I should use
> washers, do they need to be hardend og could I use e.g stailess steel?

I believe they should be hardened, at least I've been warned against using
'soft' washers.  Actually, any common washer will look funny, as the
original washers had a very small outside diameter to match the seats on the
head.

> Q2: When I bought the basket case of a car, a set of Rocker
> Spacer Set was
> included.  These equally sized spacers are supposed to replace the
> springs, but the one in the midle does not fill up the gap - thus
> resulting in wobeling rocker arm.  Anyone used these and do I miss
> something?

The rocker arm shouldn't do what I would call "wobble", regardless, it
should be a quite snug fit on the shaft.  However, the rocker also must be
located on the shaft, so if the gap is more than perhaps 1/8", I would not
use the spacers.  The original springs work fine anyway, IMO.

> Q3: Could I use std. split pins to fix the end caps on the rocker shaft?

I believe so, but check for leaks with the engine running.  The flow through
here is small enough anyway, don't want to lose any of it.

Randall