oil problem

To: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
Subject: oil problem
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:15:01 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i5ICGegs000593
Message text written by "Ken Gano"
>While out on a night cruise of the neighborhood, I experienced a sudden
and
complete loss oil pressure, confirmed by two separately switched indicators
(a gauge and an idiot light).  I have no apparent leaks and the sump is
full, but zero on the oil pressure.  It has to be a problem with the oil
pump or drive.  Fortunately, I was able to immediately shut it down and
coast into another family members driveway, so I don't think there was any
internal damage (I ran it for 15 or 20 seconds there after that and it
sounded fine).

ISTR that a failure of the key in the shaft can cause this.  I assume, when
I get it home tomorrow that it will not be a major fix, but any suggestions
as to how to diagnosis and approach the problem would be appreciated.
Also,
any other educated guesses as to a possible cause?
<

No educated guesses but how about a SWAG?  Since both your oil pressure
sender and oil light switch are remote mounted could there be a problem
with the sense line.  You can remove the sense line and re-install the
original gauge and verify the absence of pressure.

Another SWAG is perhaps the oil relief vavle spring broke allowing the
valve to go full open.  This is easy to check and should be done before you
drop the pan.  (or even pull the dizzy)

Good luck

Dave