Front Wheel Bearing Squeal

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Wheel Bearing Squeal
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:52:10 -0700
My TR wheel bearings have developed a nasty habit of making squealing
noises at low speeds. Light pressure to the brakes eliminates the squeal,
as does turning corners. Once over 35 MPH the squeal goes away.

As I recall from the manual you're supposed to tighten the castellated nut
to about 10 LB then back off 1 or two flats. When I do this there seems to
be more endplay than I feel is correct. Does anybody have a endplay spec?

Also, if the bearing starts to squeal I assume that it's the race bearing
surface that's spinning on the stub axle, thus the squeal. I usually apply
a coating of bearing grease to this surface before installing the hub and
bearings. Should this be clean?

And, now that they've started squealing do they need replaced?

Thanks for your help!
John
'67 TR4A