Running Rich, Gas in Oil?

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: Running Rich, Gas in Oil?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:17:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net i38CLlwZ002306
Message text written by "Adam C Beasley"
>I recently did a partial rebuild of my carbs and when I started the car up
it was running extremely rich. now just a little rich.  The problem is I
think I may have gas in my oil. how can I be sure?  It has a gas smell to
it.  Also, what causes this?  Do I need to rebuild my carbs?  Or was it due
to the extremely rich setting when I first started my car?
<

The most likely cause of gas in the oil is a leaky float valve which will
allow gas to seep into the carb, down the intake into the cylinder and past
the rings.  Since the fuel tank sits higher than the carbs a full tank will
continue to feed fuel to the carbs even with the engine off.  So it looks
like a more complete carb rebuild may be in order.

And change the oil.

Dave