RE: Adding Overdrive to TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adding Overdrive to TR6
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:35:51 -0800
> Are there any owners out there who have 'upgraded' from the 4 speed to
> overdrive? Is it only worth doing when you need to replace the
> transmission
> anyway? Or are there no longterm problems caused by cruising at highway
> speeds with the regular transmission?

David, I'll just echo what others have said ... there are no long term
problems from not having overdrive, except for shorter engine life, higher
fuel consumption, and more noise at freeway speeds.

The OD will never pay for itself in engine life or fuel consumption (at
least not at US prices), but IMO the noise aspect means it pays handsomely
in terms of driver satisfaction.  I greatly miss mine on the rare occasions
when it doesn't work !  And even though I'm trying to keep my Stag fairly
stock in appearance, I'm already working on installing OD in it.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, WooHoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wannabe (waiting for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly