Re: Paint Codes Royal Blue 56 PPG 13126

To: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Paint Codes Royal Blue 56 PPG 13126
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:31:34 -0600
Cc: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul Willoughby's Home wrote:

> I can't help on the color issue.  But last year, when I had my TR4 painted
> Signal Red using the Ditzler code in the Moss catalog, my body shop said
> that it was unavailable in two stage.  But his supplier was still able to
> get it for him (mix it for him?) in the old type of paint which is not
> compatible with a clearcoat.
>
> I gave him the OK for the single stage type and it came out beautiful.  No
> regrets.

Here in the southwest, clear coat is seen as one of the biggest boondoggles
ever invented by the auto industry. It
produces a nice showroom quality sheen which sells cars, but it doesn't last.
UV kills it, and rapidly. The shops here
which have found a way to remove it are making lots of money.... Had I the
choice (and I don't always), I'd stick with a
good quality acrylic enamel and a good rubbing-out. A couple of coats of
polyurethane with one shot of clear coat is
very slick, but plastic-looking--it can never have the depth of five or six
coats of enamel.

That said, I'm kind of leery about shooting the GT6 with enamel--I don't like
the thought of hand-rubbing all of those
hood louvers....

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.