re: 5 to a 4 lug wheel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: 5 to a 4 lug wheel
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:01:45 EDT
Hey Anonymous Paul,
I just bought what I thought was a perfect blank TR4 steel wheel for $10. I
rolled it before purchase and it seemed perfectly round, the paint was decent
and rust not bad. When I got it home I realized someone had drilled five new
holes in it for a 5-lug pattern! (nine holes) They steered away from the normal
4-lug holes but the new holes don't have the lug 'pucker' for added strength
and seating.
I don't know how this wheel would hold up - looks like the new holes were
never used (perhaps because there are no seat puckers to properly seat lugs
into). Now I don't know if the extra 5 holes ruin this wheel? - it looks strong
enough and holes would be hidden by hubcaps but of course no one wants to
convert
to 3 wheels while driving at 70 mph.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>Has anyone ever seen or heard of re-drilling a 5-lug bolt pattern into a
4-lug
bolt pattern on a wheel?
Please don't oust me from this list.
signed, Anonymous (Paul Dorsey haha)<<