RE: dielectric grease

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: dielectric grease
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:20:56 -0700
> What is dielectric grease

It's called that to indicate that it does not conduct and is electrically an
insulator.

> and how does it work?

It's normally used to improve thermal conduction between a solid state
component and it's heat sink.  For many devices (like most power
transistors), this connection has to be electrically isolated because the
tab on the device is at power supply voltage while the heat sink is
grounded.

>  I have some, and it
> has no electrical conductivity that I can measure with an ohmeter.
> Is it a good idea to use it on the electrical connections in a TR3?

I use a silicone-based 'dielectric' grease on many of the connections in my
Triumphs, especially on bulb bases and such.  At the point of contact, the
grease is displaced and a good connection is made.  The grease around the
point of contact keeps air away from it, preventing oxidation.  There are
purpose-made chemicals for this, but so far I haven't been motivated to try
them, having received several tubes of dielectric grease when a previous
employer shut down a production line (for doppler sonar).

The main disadvantage of the silicone grease is that it does attract dirt.
Also, once you start using silicone-based products, it's important to use
something like Acryli-Clean before trying to paint, otherwise you'll get
"fish eyes".

Randall