Re: engine knock

To: charles dubois <duboistr3@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: engine knock
From: "Bob Westerdale" <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:47:10 -0400 |February 13, 2003) at 07/30/2003 04:47:13 PM, Serialize complete at 07/30/2003 04:47:13 PM FILETIME=[C10A7360:01C356DB]
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Charlie-
        I will bet you a beer there is something fishy going on with
either the cam chain tensioner, or the two rather small bolts that hold
the cam's chainwheel onto the camshaft.   The symptoms you described in
this note, and your earlier note of around 7-2-03 to the list  set off the
alarm bells in my head....   I had the same noise and a rather loud final
noise that led to the discovery of sheared off cam chainwheel bolts. BTDT.
  Investigate before driving anywhere....  Unfortunately the whole front
of the  car ( apron, radiator, etc....  ) must come off  for a good look,
although you might be able to figure out how to immobilize the cam and
then try to rotate the crank to see how much clunk & slop is present in
the cam chain assembly.
        Good Luck!
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A TS36967

Hello,

I hope I can get some advice about the current problem I have with my TR3.

When it ran, a couple of weeks ago, it had a very heavy knocking at idle
which would basically go away as I accererated.  It would return
immediately once I took my foot of the gas.

I have dropped the pan and replaced the rod bearings.

Currently I have the plugs out and the rocker arm assembly off.  I can
turn it over by hand and all seems fine.  It turns over w/o any obvious
noise or knocking.

BUT once I put the rocker arm assembly back on and adjust the clearances,
I get a very distinct knock as I turn it over by hand. It seems to come
from the camshaft but I can not say that for sure.

Also I noticed that once I put the rocker arm assembly back on, the
distributor shaft does not go around as smoothly as it did when the rocker
arm shaft was off.

You can actually watch the rotor kind of get stuck and then there will be
the knock and the rotor jumps forward.  I thought it had something to do
with the way the distributor shaft was messing with the camshaft but this
only occurs when the rocker arm asssembly is in place.

Thanks for any thoughts

Charlie DuBois -
Poughkeepsie,NY
58 TR3 - 31682E