more on usage of lights

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: more on usage of lights
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:24:03 -0400
Out of curiosity (and thanks to the technology of the Web), I just
searched the Massachusetts driver's manual for the rules pertaining
to lights.  Under "Obtaining Your License" I found the following:

Use your headlights:
 In rain, snow, fog, or other inclement
weather that makes it hard to see
 The law required you to use your headlights
from one-half hour after sunset until one-half
hour before sunrise
 Anytime you have trouble seeing other
vehicles
 To flash another vehicle to alert the driver to
turn on their headlights

Note the hours, one half hour *after* sunset to one half hour
*before* sunrise.  Interestingly too, it *requires* one to alert
other drivers about headlight use.

There is one statement to the effect that "It is advisable to use
headlights during inclement weather", or something similar.

There were guidelines about when to use highbeams and lowbeams, as
expected.

I could not find any reference to usage of parking lights, certainly
no prohibition against using them by themselves.  The "Rules Of the
Road" section had no such regulations.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com