RE: numbers help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: numbers help
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:11:38 -0700
> Oh, there is a trailing "L".  The car has the overdrive and I
> thought I read
> someplace that all cars with the overdrive had the bigger engine.  Is that
> true?

Not AFAIK (As Far As I Know)

>  If not, how can I tell if the engine is the 1991 or the 2138?

No good way to tell for sure, except to tear the engine down.  The only
difference is which liners and pistons are fitted, and although most likely
your engine left the factory with the 83mm liners giving the 1991
displacement; it's common practice to fit the larger 86mm or even 87mm
(giving roughly 2188cc) liners when doing an engine overhaul.

Also, cars that were fitted with overdrive when built had an "O" suffix on
the commission number.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly