RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:40:43 -0700 FILETIME=[8EA81B90:01C33447]
> ( BTW, it is sunny today, I think "this" week should be drive
> your LBC week.
> Due to being postponed by rain on the east coast before, any takers? )

As far as I'm concerned, every week is "Drive your LBC" week.  Since my TR3A
is still patiently awaiting it's OD transplant, I've driven the Stag to work
all but a handful of days so far this year, rain or no rain.

> - As per Geo Hahn, I went to pull the plug wire from the spark plug to see
> if I was getting a worse situation.  I had on a heavy leather glove to
> protect from heat, always a good precaution.  But as I went to touch the
> plug cap, ZAP, I got a spark shot through my arm to the other
> hand that was
> touching the fender.  Is this right?  I have the standard plastic
> plug caps
> and bumblebee wires?

Hard to be certain, but I'd say that means there is a problem with either
the cap or the plug on that cylinder.  It shouldn't bite you until after
you've pulled the cap off the plug (and then I'd say even heavy leather
gloves aren't good enough).  What's your plug gap set at ?

> I can add further detail to die/idle drop thing.  When the idle
> is about to
> drop I do the quick 1-2 step take her out of gear and use the left foot to
> brake and try to feather the gas.  This works sometimes but others, no
> matter how much I try she will no come back and will stall.  When I try to
> restart she will "burp" a start them die again, trying this 5+ times then
> she will simply start like nothing happened.  I tried to use no gas on
> restart, another time used gas all with the same results.

That also argues for some other problem going on, although I'm not sure
what.

Have you checked the resistance of the plug wires ?  Use an ohmmeter to
measure from the contact that goes on the plug all the way to the contact
inside the distributor cap.  With solid wires and no added resistors, you
should see no more than a few ohms.  Even with suppression resistors, it
shouldn't be more than about 10K, and should be roughly the same on all
cylinders.

A new set of plugs (yes, yet another set) might be worth a try, too.  If
they don't help, you can save the ones you took out for your next tune-up.
Even brand new plugs are sometimes defective.

Randall