RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:01:26 -0700
> Well this is getting more confusing to me.  The '3 will return to idle
> sometimes and others time simply die. Checked the plugs and they
> are dry and
> tan.
>
> When she does idle, it is at 1300rpm and when I try and bring it down, the
> motor starts to shudder quite a bit.

That also sounds like worn throttle shaft bushings to me.  Try grabbing the
front shaft, turning it a bit to off-idle, and shaking it up and down.  If
you can feel it clunking around, the bushings are worn.

To live with it, turn the idle screws in until the idle won't fall below
about 1000 rpm, and then learn to blip the throttle at stop lights, to get
the idle down to 1000.

Replacing bushings can be done at home, but is probably best left to someone
that's done it before.  My first attempt had to be reamed to fit, and the
special reamer isn't cheap.

Randall