Re: filter adapter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: filter adapter
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:59:18 +0100
>I do not like to see a vendor bashing thread started on the list

I think the problem, from a UK perspective, is that the spares market for
classics has become very competitive and people tend to buy on price alone

This has led to a lot of Chinese and Indian-sourced parts (and UK- and
US-sourced parts) of very low quality coming onto the market

I bought a TR4 waterpump where one mounting hole was drilled over a quarter of
an inch off. Not much chance of that fitting...  It causes lots of wasted time
and carriage charges for everyone concerned

I'd rather buy a Quinton Hazell (or AP, or Lucas, etc) unit off the shelf, pay
more and get something that fits. But it seems that volumes are too low for
these suppliers - but high enough to justify getting them made in bulk, badly

I'm sure that Revington TR and Moss appreciate their time being wasted just as
little as we do. Their only way out of it is to replace the item, waste lots of
time and money and recoup it by raising prices overall

If there's a demand, and no good suppliers are around, people will always end
up buying the bad stuff - unfortunately! The only thing we can do is to tell
our suppliers, every time we buy something, that we want top-quality parts and
not the cheap stuff

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk