RE: Looks like I'm stumped

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>, "Dan Masters" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Looks like I'm stumped
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@MSN.COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:00:29 -0700 FILETIME=[66CE3870:01C2F7D9]
Cc: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ok, dumb question and possibly a dumb answer; I don't have my car at the
office to look before I post this response, so bear this in mind.

I'm guessing that you have either the ring gear on backwards, or you have
the starter bolted up wrong, or you have an electrical problem that limits
the amount of volts / amps you can use at the starter.

Ring gear:  I've heard of other cars where a shop or owner puts the ring
gear on backwards.  This means that the portion of the teeth that is "open"
to allow for the starter pinion gear to mesh with the ring gear are facing
backwards rather than forwards.

Starter bolted up incorrectly:  I lean toward this one because you say you
have changed and or unbolted the starter - of course I also assume you had
this problem prior to bolting up the replacement starter, but you may also
have unbolted the original starter as well.  My premise (and you have to
check the book because I don't have my manuals or my car here at work), is
that you have bolted the starter either too far forward or too far backward.
The starter can be bolted up correctly and incorrectly, depending on whether
you slid the pinion gear side of the starter in the bolt-up ring, or whether
you slid the back of the starter through the bolt-up ring.  One is correct,
and the other isn't.  Check the manual for correct placement.

Electrical:  Lastly, if the first two items are not a problem, then this
must be assumed.  Is your starter drawing the proper volts and amps?  Dan
Masters is probably the best person to address this issue.

Good luck!!  Let us know what you find.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6  (CF52678U)