Re: TR Horns

To: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>, "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>, "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Horns
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:24:39 -0000 h2T9T50K024145
From: Tim I. Purdy <timipurdy@citlink.net>

> I, too, would be interested in any replies on this.  My previous, which was
> the original owner of the 64' TR4, stated the horn never worked, though on a
> rare occasion, it worked when turning a corner.

That's not going to be a problem with the horn itself - the ground strap across
the steering column coupling is likely be either broken or missing. Spontaneous
horn operation on cornering is often a function of a worn steering column top
bush, allowing the horn contact ring to make contact with the steering wheel
boss.
For the record, dismantling and reassembly of the horns is straightforward, the
only difficulty I've experienced is finding gasket material of the correct
thickness for reassembly as this is critical for correct operation. Drill out
the rivets around the circumference for dismantling. The horn can be
reassembled using screws and nuts, prototypically correct for many Triumphs
around 1959/60,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--