Message to Curt Fisher re: Spot Welding drills

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Message to Curt Fisher re: Spot Welding drills
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:04:43 -0500
List,
Sorry to bomb the list but I have tried to respond to Curt several times
today with no success. Curt emailed me from my webpage regarding sources and
opinions on spot welding drills. Something must be wrong with the email
address he sent me. Anyway, here goes.
Message follows:
Hi Curt,
Thanks for the encouragement on the web site. I actually tried two different
types of drills.
The first I bought from The Eastwood Company http://www.eastwoodco.com
do a search on spot welds I think. Anyway, they sell one. This one worked OK
but it was hard to keep centered in the hole as it was really just a very
blunt drill bit. I bought the other one at a local autobody supply company
(KOI autoparts and paint).
It had a small pilot pin in the middle which centered a small circular
cutter. This one worked pretty good.
You need to pick up a pair of plug welding pliers too. It looks like vise
grip with a copper plate on one jaw and a fork on the other. You center up
the fork over the hole you are welding in so the copper plate closes the
hole. When you MIG weld, the copper absorbes much of the welding heat so you
don't end up burning holes into the metal. You end up with a nice filled
hole.
I will put them on my web page soon.
What type of Triumph do you own? How far are you along?
Dave
Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH
'65 TR4A
web page http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

By the way, NFI just passing on information