Re: Rear brake springs - in or out?

To: darrellw@inetarena.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear brake springs - in or out?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:46:44 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2003 7:22:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
darrellw@inetarena.com writes:

> I'm putting the rear brakes back together on my TR4A.  The manual shows
> the springs on the 'inside'.  I was able to get the bottom spring on
> the inside, but I can't get it together with the top on the inside.  It
> doesn't seem to hand up on anything on the outside, does it really make
> any difference?

I don't know if it makes an incredible amount of difference. And, to be
honest, I've never actually replaced shoes on a 4A (presumably IRS, right?).
But if it's like most other Girling brake setups, and I seem to recall it is,
it's a bit tricky but not really difficult to get the shoes and springs in
place. Do you have the top spring so oriented so that the "straight" part is
in the proper place to clear the piston end of the slave cylinder?

FWIW, I always assemble shoes and springs as a unit in my hand and then work
them over the axle flange and onto the backing plate. Carefully "work" the
springs over and behind the flange, catch one end of one shoe on the adjustor
and the other end on the wheel cylinder, then stretch (bash a knuckle or two,
etc.) the other shoe into place. Right or wrong, I always found this easier
than trying to work the springs into place with brake spring pliers (or any
other tool of destruction) after locating the shoes.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.