Re: White Paint for early TR4 dash

To: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: White Paint for early TR4 dash
From: "Gary Allgood" <leyte@LVS.NET>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:38:46 -0600
At 01:07 PM 3/4/2003 -0500, Scott Tilton wrote:
>Anyone have any helpful advice for painting an early TR-4 dashboard white?
>
>I'm not sure if it is something I want to tackle myself.
>I'm historically not a good painter.
>
>Is this something that is going to be ridiculously expensive at a body shop
>because they would have to buy too much of the correct paint?
>

>Any BTDT experiences appreciated.
>

>Scott Tilton

Scott,

I have gone to paint shops, and had them mix me the correct paint to paint
dash's with. I restored a 1966 GTO and the red interior was mint, but the
dash paint was faded. I had them mix me 1 spray can full, and it cost me
less than 20 bucks. I removed everything from the dash, wet sanded it with
very fine paper and sprayed the dash myself. You could not tell the
difference, just don't get too excited when painting and get it running.
Practice on the neighbors mini van at night. :)

I have yet to do this to my 62 TR4, but will if/when I ever do a full
restore. I am enjoying it way to much to make it a garage floor ornament.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Allgood
CT/3795-LO