RE: Spitfire trailer wiring/lighting question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire trailer wiring/lighting question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:06:31 -0800
> I just got a trailer hitch (ordered) for my Spitfire.  Spitfires use the
> now typical three taillight system (separate brake, turn and running) and
> the trailer uses the typical American two lamp system (turn and brake
> combined, separate running).  I can get a simple electronic converter or
> adaptor that will combine the signals into a two lamp system, but I was
> just curious about one aspect of its operation.

Barry, have you considered just adding turn filaments to the trailer ?  If
it's got a flat surface you can poke holes in, you could even use a pair of
L594 lamps (which seem appropriate to me).  But if not, any auto parts store
should have a "clearance lamp" assembly that takes a similar beehive lens,
and will accept an 1156 turn signal bulb.

To answer your question, I believe you will need to switch to a "load
insensitive" flasher, which will continue to flash even with a bulb burned
out.

Randall