Re: Here's a thread we haven't had for a while...

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Here's a thread we haven't had for a while...
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:30:46 -0500
From:   "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net
<mailto:jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net> >

<snip>

Most people, especially adult males, like to think they know
everything there is to know about cars anyway.  I've tried making a
joke of the "us vs. them" aspect, as in Ford vs. Chevy,

<snip>

OH yeah. .I've been there too.
I've been known to take the sarcastic approach with some of those guys:

They say MG or Fiat and I say "Close, but it is actually a Triumph."

Their response will often be something along the lines of:  "Whatever!
Aren't they the same thing."

I agree and say "Yeah I suppose they are.  Just like a Chevy and a Ford
pickup are the same thing."

Most of the time that will get a grin and a nod of acknowledgement.
When a particular uppity redneck scoffs at this statement I'll start a list
for him:

"This TR6 has a 6 cylinder engine,  independent rear suspension and a
separate body and frame.  Those MG's have 4 cylinder engines, solid rear
axles and a unibody.  Can you tell me that a Ford F-150 and a Chevy 1500 are
more different than that?"

Then drive away speedily before aforementioned redneck goes to unload his
gun rack in the Ford / Chevy  clone vehicle.

Scott Tilton