Re: Media/Sandblasting my TR4A tub, now dipping

To: mlang@easystreet.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Media/Sandblasting my TR4A tub, now dipping
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:14:02 -0700
Mike,
Just a few word from some one who has used the dip process. When I first
started stripping down my TR3 I took my fenders, hood, trunk lid, doors,
front valence, spare tire cover, etc. in and had them dipped and zinc
phosphated (to prevent flash rusting) when I took them in the companies
chemicals must have been at the end of their useful life and the results
where poor at best. A friend of mine took his TR3B in to the same shop
and had the entire stripped down car dipped, he had the frame and any
parts that required no further metal work zinc plated, and the parts
that required some further metal work were only zinc phosphated to allow
welding etc. All his parts came out beautiful all I can guess as to the
1000% different results is my friend now owns a body shop and will
provide repeat business and I walked in off the street at a slow time of
year so his stuff got treated to new chemicals. While mine got stripped
with the old sludge and were there during a 2 week Christmas shut down
where they lost heat to their building and my parts got frozen into
their stripping tank thankfully no damage was done to the parts. Have
the shop show work they have completed the week you are taking your
stuff in to be sure that you will get good results. I'm still convinced
dipping is the best way to go just be a smart consumer regrettably most
cities only have one shop that does this.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet