Dremelling aluminum (LBC, honest!)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dremelling aluminum (LBC, honest!)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 09:48:04 -0500
I bought the VB cast valve cover this winter and am eagerly awaiting the ice
to disappear so that I can install it. The unit I bought looks nice but has
a flat surface mating to the cylinder head. All advice from the denizens of
the list is to use a bonding material to seal the cork gasket to the cover
(many identified, thanks). I am still wondering how successful I am going to
be in getting the gasket to be regular in placement not cheapen the look.
Then people started mentioning british O-ring-ready covers with no irregular
gaskets showing. Then Jim Swarthout started mentioning he was going to make
a super-duper version of the same thing. So rather than be shamed by these
fancy products, but being too Scottish in heritage to throw out a nice new
purchase I am going to try and make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

My question then is, has anybody had success cutting a groove in aluminum
with a dremel or router? I could easily hoseclamp some appropriately shaped
wood, or whatnot, block to the side of the dremel to guide it along the side
of the cover, I just don't want to discover that I use up 45 dremel bits
that cost more than the cover did to accomplish the job. I want to cut a
channel the width of the cork gasket (3/16?, have to measure) and maybe 1/8"
to hold the gasket nice and straight. A router is going to be a bit
unwieldy, but has dramatically more power than a dremel. So what type of
bit(s) am I looking for here? Or am I barking mad to think they can cut a
grove 4' long in aluminum?

Awaiting the knowledge of TR-town.

Mark Hooper