Re: Castor,Camber, toe etc...long

To: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>, "Scions of Lucas" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Castor,Camber, toe etc...long
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:23:08 -0600
> Camber-The inward or outward tilt of the wheels from true vertical as
viewed
> from the front or rear of the vehicle. The vehicle will always pull to the
> side with the most negative camber.

This seems backwards. I expect the negative camber to pull towards the
center.  That's why folks who run a lot of negative camber for autocross
crank in a little extra toe-out for better tire wear on the street.

> TOOT- (Toe Out On Turns)- When turning a corner, the inside wheel has to
turn
> at a sharper angle than the outside wheel because the inside has a shorter
> distance to travel.

When did they stop calling this Ackerman?

> Thrustline- A line which bisects the rear toe, or the direction the rear
> wheels are pointed. If the rear wheels are pointed to the left, then the
> thrustline will be left. Thrustangle can be calculated by comparing the
> thrustline to the geometric center line of the vehicle.

When the error on this is excessive, it is commonly called "dog-tracking".
An easy way to check for this is to drive straight on through a wet spot,
then go back and look at your tire tracks on the dry pavement after the wet
spot.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com