Re: Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle.... (long)

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle.... (long)
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:06:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim Muller wrote:

> Yeah, this is a curious reading for a Spitfire.  They all start
> negative and then get worse as the rear spring sags.  The only thing
> I can think of that could make the camber go positive (other than
> poor measurement or not letting the car settle properly) is that
> someone changed something.  A stiffer spring perhaps, or a poorly
> mounted one if someone swapped a swing-spring into an older car.  Or
> one of Kas Kastner's camber compensators!  Michael, does your rear
> have what looks like a crossing spring mounted under the rear?
>
> > I don't know the wheelbase of a Spit offhand, but 0.1 degrees
> > is only 0.2 inches at 10 feet.
>
> 83 inches.
>
> --
> Jim Muller
> jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
> '80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+

Jim,
You need to reevaluate or at least qualify your statements.  In fact,
the early (Mk1 through 3) don't squat the way the later ones do.  When
the springs and shocks are in good condition, the rear wheels will sit
at an almost vertical position with near zero camber.  You can make the
later spits sit the same way by replacing that ridiculous (my opinion,
excuse me) swing spring with a fixed one and replace the longer axles
with ones from an early Spit.  Of course, you would then need to install
a camber compensator to prevent the dreaded wheel tuck.  Or you could
get really inspired and install a rotoflex rear suspension as is on your
GT6+.

Cheers,
Joe (whose red Mk1 Spit Huxley has rear wheels that sit normally
vertical) Curry