RE: water pump pulley woes

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: water pump pulley woes
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:55:34 -0800
> My concern is with the fit of the pulley on the shaft. With the
> key in place but the securing nut off, the pulley wobbles
> axially quite a bit on the shaft. Not very surprising, since
> the application of pressure from the belt is off-center; I'm
> certain the bore is worn.
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should sleeve the bore before
> reassembly? I can't find a ready-made hard sleeve in my
> searching - the closest I can get is a bronze sleeve bearing, which
> seems like it will be softer than the cast iron and wear quickly -
> so I might just make one out of steel. The idea is to bore
> the hole to about 3/4" diameter from the current 5/8, press
> in the sleeve, and cut the keyway - since the keyway is 1/8"
> square, there should be 1/16" or so left of the original left
> as a guide.
>
> Or should I just bolt it up, torque the retaining nut, and
> ignore it? :-)

Chris, I wouldn't tolerate any detectable play in that joint ... otherwise
the pulley will work on the shaft and eventually break it, which can be even
more exciting than a broken belt.  Of course, the radiator is easier to
replace on a 4A than on a 3, so perhaps you don't need to worry about it <g>

Bronze would probably be OK, the joint should not move under normal
operation and so wear should not be an issue.  But if you have a lathe,
should be easy enough to cut a sleeve from steel.

Or, TRF has new pulleys for under $30 ... VB might be even cheaper (ISTR
they charged me under $10 for a TR250 pulley).

Randall