TR8 power steering removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR8 power steering removal
From: <robert.banathy@am.kwe.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:37:56 -0800
Hi Bud,

I can't quite imagine why one would have to remove the motor unless the motor
mounts or major front-end components were damaged or modified.  Removing the
power rack was rather cumbersome as the clearance for removal is limited, but
following the factory recommended process, with the car on a lift, allowed for
removal without having to mess with the motor.  I would not try to do the job
with the car on jack stands, as there will not be enough room to manipulate
the rack for removal.  Once the rack and pump are removed there are no
fittings to be blocked-off or plugged.  The length of the steering shaft for
the manual rack is different than for the power rack, but that is easily
replaced.  While at it I strongly recommend replacing all the steering shaft
bushings (the one at the firewall and those at the steering-wheel.

If you don't have the shop manual I can fax the concerned section to you if
that would help.  In any case, it is a do-able conversion, and I think it is
well worth it!  Good luck!

Best regards,

Bob