Re: whats the secret - oil filter leak ?

To: <lstein6@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: whats the secret - oil filter leak ?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:36:51 -0800
> okay, i've replaced the gasket around the oil filter twice.  once not too
> tight, second time tight.
> there has to be a way to keep it from leaking !  suggestions ?
> thanks, larry, lstein6@earthlink.net

Larry,

Do you have a canister type filter or a screw on?  If it's a canister, there
is a good chance that there is a gasket already in the groove, way up where
it's hard to see.  I use a flashlight and a dental mirror to get a good look
as it's hard to see directly.

In either case, I always put some grease on the gasket. It holds it in place
while you're installing the filter, allows slippage as you are tightening,
and helps seal it all up.  I've been told it also makes the gasket expand
some.

Bob