RE: WORSENING SPAM

Subject: RE: WORSENING SPAM
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:58:29 -0800
>I am a Windows Outlook user :^(  To build an effective rule base for
>stopping the flood of spam targeting Outlook, one must use the Rules Wizard
>and set up rules that search for specific words in the senders address and
>then redirect to the deleted bin. Do not setup rules to simply block
>specific senders since the latest trick is to add random numbers to a long
>sender name to confuse the e-mail programs.

I don't know what the ultimate capabilities of Outlook are in terms
of filters (or 'rules' to use the MS vernacular) but some of you may
want to look into Eudora as an e-mail program. Eudora allows you to
specify keywords within the 'From' field, 'Subject' field, 'Any
Header' field, 'To' field and even keywords used within the BODY of
the message. On the Mac version you can even associate different
sounds with certain filters. On mine, any messages deemed as SPAM by
Eudora's filters are sent to the trash accompanied by a 'Laugh'
sound. (okay, that's just for fun!) Anyway, the filters in Eudora are
quite powerful and may provide more levels of security than Outlook.
(but not being familiar with Outlook, I could certainly be wrong!)

Plus, many viruses are designed to work within Outlook (or, as I call
it, 'Outtaluck') and if you use Eudora or some other program, you can
defeat certain viruses automatically.

Good luck!
--
Pete Chadwell