1970 TR-6 Steering shaft thread restore

To: "Dave Barrans" <dbarrans@precision-data.biz>
Subject: 1970 TR-6 Steering shaft thread restore
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:27:37 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gB5NhMj1021937
Message text written by "Dave Barrans"
>The threads that hold the steering wheel in place are severely damaged.
It
looks to me to be about 9/16X28.  I have been able  not find a die to recut
them.  Do I have the size right and do you have any ideas as to where I can
purchase the proper die.
<

If you have trouble locating this die you might try a thread file.  This is
a file with teeth spaced equivilent to the thread pitch.  Most of them are
square and have four different pitches on each end for a total of eight
pitches.  If you work the threads with the 28 TPI tile you can clean out
the fouled threads.  Takes more work and care than a tap but better than
nothing.

Cheers

Dave