Re: Rear End Work

To: "Barlow, Paul" <Paul_Barlow@translink.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Rear End Work
From: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:13:15 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul:

I'm currently invovled in this kind of stuff with my '72 TR6.

The half shafts are relatively easy to remove.  Get the car up on stands,
disconnect the inner flanges (having scribed a mating mark on them somewhere
for reference), undo the nylocs, pull the wheel and drum, and undo the six
outer nuts holding the hub to the trailing arm (which are accessed through the
opposed holes in the outermost flange).  Then just pull the
whole half shaft assembly out through the trailing arm -- no need to disturb
the brakes at all.

You can replace the u-joints yourself, but not the rear bearings -- it takes
special tools to separate the hubs without ruining them.  TRF will do this for
you for $225 per hub right now -- and that's probably the best deal you'll find.

Martin Secrest
72 TR6
Arlington, VA