Re: Who's driving today? and life (problems?) in CA

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Who's driving today? and life (problems?) in CA
From: "David Gunn" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:15:54 -0800 FILETIME=[4550C540:01C299CA]
What a list this is!  I just came in from the barn, after putting my "2" to
bed, and found the most relevant postings!  Last night (or early  this AM),
I replaced the gas gauge with a used spare, and was quite proud of myself
when it read full instead of empty (and I did have a full tank).  Then I
decided to tackle the non-working wipers.  Pulled gobs of gum-like white
stuff out of the gears, cleaned it out with an electrical spray, re-greased
it, and, lo and behold, they now go back and forth across the windshield
like they might actually displace some water!  Life is good

Got up this AM, fixed breakfast for the whole family (not am easy task, as
there are 7 of us, all over 18, and they all come home for breakfast on the
weekends), did some "honey-dos", and then decided to take the "2" for a ride
- a wonderful fall day in Northern California - mid-sixties, and the sun was
shining.  Took a short trip - about 30 miles - not bad considering it's
condition.  Got bored when I got home, and took off again - then the problem
- of course there is not always a happy ending (but I did get home on my own
power and not behind a tow truck)!

My red light came on!  I know, I know, it's either the battery, the
generator, or the control box, or the wiring in between - nothing else in
that circuit.  Unfortunately, I do not have a voltmeter, so I can't check
the generator - but here are the symptoms - I'm leaning towards the control
box, but maybe not:  Ever since I got the "2" restarted, the ammeter has
always registered 30++ (its pegged to the plus side) - I always thought it
was charging the battery, as I was doing a lot of odd electrical repairs
with the car on and not running.  However, after my 30 mile drive, it was
still pegged on the plus side - the battery should've been charged.  By the
way, the ammeter does move, it is lower when the engine is running slower,
or at idle, and does register a minus, when the car is not running and the
lights (or wipers) are on.  The red light came on on a restart, and there
was nothing different before I turned it off.

Then, I come home, and check the list, and hear about a "3" that runs rough
when it is warm, well mine is the exact opposite - Mine runs terrible -
spits and sputters for about 20 minutes - then coughs - and then runs just
fine - like a bat outta h--l!!  In fact - being in a college town, . . . .
- but that's another story!

Any suggestions on my red light problem - I do have Randall Young's sage
advice of 8-8-02, but I seem to remember some prior discussion of an ammeter
that wouldn't settle down - but I can't find it.  Do you think it could be
related to the rough running - should I check the 95% electrical, or go
straight to the carbs - they've been sitting for 12+ years.

By the way, the wipers still work, and the fuel gauge now bounces, so I
guess it still works!

Thanks for your help. By the way - I haven't forgotten all of the responses
I got to my trailering question.  I'm "toying" with the idea of trying to
get a caravan together and "go for the gusto" - but I need to work out a lot
of bugs between now and then.  Thanks much - David Gunn  TS 3388L  54 TR2
Chico, CA