RE: TR6 Clutch madness

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>, "'Jack DeWolf'" <jbd@dotnet.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch madness
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:58:22 -0700
Cc: "'[unknown]'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Randall, I believe that I might have a similar issue, but could you
> please explain how this sagging could occur.  I assume by locating pins
> you are talking about the 3/8" dowels on the transmission bell housing.
> I don't know for sure, but I believe in my case that these were replace
> by 3/8" bolts, but either way if the bell housing is bolted up in all
> the right places how can sagging occur?

Bolt shanks are almost always slightly smaller than the nominal bolt size,
and the bolt holes in the block and transmission are slightly larger.  The
pins or dowels are a much tighter fit, thus they hold the transmission more
accurately in alignment.  The clearances in the pilot bearing are only a few
.001", so alignment is definitely important.

Mind, this problem didn't happen to me, I'm only repeating what someone else
said, and he was only repeating what Herman van den Akker told him.  There
certainly could have been some miscommunication somewhere.  But, it makes
sense to me.

Someone also mentioned that they had bent their clutch plate, apparently by
allowing the transmission to hang on it during installation.  The result was
a clutch that always dragged.  You should always keep the transmission
supported until it's bolted to the engine block.

Randall