Oil pump screen filter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pump screen filter
From: "McMahon, Jack" <JMcmahon@ictgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:53:03 -0400
Hi folks, I'm in the midst of replacing the oil pump on my 59 TR3, 10 lbs at
idle -- 45 to 50 going down the road  after it heats up, and I noticed the
oil pickup inside the screen filter is slightly squashed.  Instead of the
pipe being round, it's flattened.  It doesn't look restricted, it's oval
shaped instead of round...maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.  Is this
correct, should I replace the screen filter along with the pump?    While
I'm in there I'm going to replace the crankshaft bearings and I do know
about cranking the engine until I get oil pressure before I actually start
the engine.  Is there anything else I should aware of regarding the oil pump
replacement?

Thank you in advance,
Jack