Re: chrome

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: chrome
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:26:51 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

>  Chrome can even be
> ion-sputtered, although I don't know of anyone that does this on a
> commercial basis.  (Hmmm, never did look into how they chrome plastic ...)
>
> Randall

When I worked for Texas Instruments way back when they sold watches, that is
what they did to keep static electric discharges from frying the insides
of the watches.  They were using plastic cases and found that static would
travel through the unshielded case and ruin the microprocessor.

So they huddled together and decided to acquire a large chamber that bombarded
the inside of the plastic cases with metal ions to produce a barrier
through which the static electricity could not travel.  It worked quite well.

In fact the results were so nice that they decided to start using it on the
outside of the case to produce a metal look in either silver or gold.

Cheers,
Joe