RE: chrome

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: chrome
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:52:54 -0700
> When asking for prices or just general info on rechroming it
> should be known
> if you are going concours and want triple plating, or a everyday
> driver and
> just in need of rechrome, makes for a wide range of differing
> prices between
> the two.  just my .000002 "FT"

While I agree about the difference in pricing, IMO triple plating is the
only way to go.  Chrome simply will not stick directly to steel (triple
plating consists of copper, nickel, then chrome), trying to take shortcuts
here results in chrome that will start peeling off in just a few years.

Also, chrome will not stick to chrome, so if a piece has already been
chromed, the only way to rechrome it is to strip off the old chrome.

If you're not going to do it right, then just buff up what you have and keep
it waxed or clearcoated.

Randall