Re: Oil leak from fuel pump?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak from fuel pump?
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:39:04 +0200
Darrell Walker wrote :

> After just over 440 miles on my "new" TR4A engine, it still appears to
> only have one oil leak.  It is somewhere near the fuel pump, and by
> Triumph standards very minor.  While I was very careful with gaskets,
> sealers and inspecting the sealing surfaces, I'm sure it is possible
> that I messed something up.  But is also occurred to me that possibly
> the pump itself is leaking, since the bottom portion is open to the
> crankcase.  The parts catalog doesn't really do a good job showing all
> the parts, but it does list an "oil retaining spring" and "oil
> retaining washer", neither of which is illustrated.  So is it possible
> that the pump is the source of my leak?  If so, does anyone have any
> experience fixing a leak here?
Hi Darrell ,
I have this same problem on my 3A and am now convinced that oil is being blown
out through the
hand primer shaft joints .These joints (leather ?) are quite thin , 9/16" I.D.
only 40+ years old and
the whole assembly is riveted together .I am currently trying to rebuild a
spare pump , which also
leaked oil , with the hand primer blanked off .
Other possible sources of leaks
2 hole flange fitting to block .
Actuating arm pin .
Diaphragm rod seal ( I believe NLA )damaged and oil loss through the vent hole
on the front side
between the diaphragm and the hand primer.
Easy fix........fit an electric pump <g>.
If it's not the pump , it could be the blank which blocks off the old crankcase
breather or the oil line
to the pressure gauge .
HTH
Good luck